Friday November 22 Morning
China Breakfast Briefing
- What is unique about the agri-food innovation landscape in China?
- What are the greatest challenges in the agri-food supply chain and where is the greatest need for innovation and technology?
- Where are the most exciting food-tech investment and partnership opportunities in China and how can companies access this market?
- How is innovation emerging from China set to impact the food system across Asia?
Matilda Ho, Founder & Managing Director, BITS X BITES, CHINA
Justin Gong, Co-Founder & VP, XAG, CHINA
Opening Plenary Discussion: Building Sustinable and Healthy Food Brands in a Changing Consumer Landscape in Asia
- With urbanisation and internet penetration rapidly rising in Asia, how we live, work and eat is drastically changing. How are digitisation and on-demand delivery disrupting Asia’s food landscape?
- How is the drive for convenience and prepared food changing how and what people consume? What new challenges and opportunities does this open up for food brands?
- What strategies are leading food brands developing to meet consumer demand for healthier foods with sustainable supply chains? What success stories have we seen of new, healthier brands entering the market in Asia?
- How are start-ups disrupting the space with new, innovative products and brands? What are the key challenges to scale?
Corporate Innovation: Creating a Culture Open to Entrepreneurial Thinking and Collaboration
- How are the leading food companies in Asia and start-ups working together to deliver new solutions to challenges in the food system, and unlock growth? What approaches have been successful in utilizing complementary strengths to drive innovation forward?
- How can innovation be integrated into the core business of CPGs in Asia?
- As the birthplace of many start-ups in Asia and the house of new research expertise, what value can academic institutions bring to the leading food companies in Asia? What new collaboration models are emerging?
Adam Lyle, Executive Chairman, PADANG & CO, SINGAPORE
Dirk Oyen, General Manager – Human Nutrition South East Asia, ADM, SINGAPORE
Sirichit Jiraruangkiat, AVP Group Innovation & Market Development, THAI WAH, THAILAND
Kerry Mok, Executive Vice President, Food Solutions, SATS, SINGAPORE
Start-Up Technology Pitching Session
Four early-stage companies pitch their nutrition-focused solutions to our audience, each followed by a Q&A with our panel of Investor Sharks.
Florence Leong, Founder and Director, KOSMODEHEALTH, SINGAPORE
Chonchayong Sean Trairatkeyoon, Co-Founder & CEO, JUICEINNOV8, THAILAND
Networking Break: Meet the Start-Ups
An opportunity to connect with Asia’s most exciting agri-food start-ups in the TechHub exhibition
Keynote Presentation: Change by Preserving
Francesco Prinetti, Managing Director, FERRERO SINGAPORE INNOVATION CENTER, SINGAPORE
Nutrition for Everyone: Targeting Malnutrition through Fortification
- To address widespread malnutrition-related issues like stunting across Asia, how do we increase the nutritional profile of staple foods, while keeping them affordable? What key challenges that need to be overcome in doing this? What new products are emerging?
- How is next-generation fortification improving micronutrient absorption? Where are the opportunities for gene editing to add nutrients? How can we overcome regulatory hurdles?
- Where are the partnership and investment opportunities to accelerate the development and commercialization of new technologies and products to meet Asia’s base nutritional needs?
Ravi Menon, Indonesia Country Director, GAIN, INDONESIA
Anand Sundaresan, Regional Vice President, DSM HUMAN NUTRITION & HEALTH, ASIA PACIFIC, SINGAPORE
Presentation: The Role of Partnership and Collaboration in Bringing New Sugar Reduction Solutions to Market
Tackling the Diabetes Crisis through Sugar Replacement, Processing and Reduction Technologies
- With diabetes from increasingly high-sugar, carb-led diets spreading across Asia and sugar taxes emerging, what innovation is taking place to create better sugars, next-generation alternatives and new formulations? How is flavour innovation maintaining delicious taste?
- What approaches are successfully addressing the bulking challenge in sugar replacement? Where are the opportunities for fibre to add not only bulk but also functionality?
- How can we achieve scale and reduce costs of sugar alternatives? How can food brands drive innovation and adoption forwards, and where are the opportunities for partnerships?
Harry Boot, SVP & GM Speciality Food Ingredients Asia Pacific, TATE & LYLE, SINGAPORE
Friday November 22 Afternoon
Food as Medicine: Delivering Functional Foods for Healthy Development and Senior Wellness
- How is growing understanding of the relationship between nutrition and health, and variations in the gut microbiota between individuals and with age, opening new food-tech opportunities in Asia to promote health and wellness? How can this drive us away from the established pharmaceutical paradigm and move towards a preventative, holistic approach?
- How is ingredient innovation is transforming senior wellness and cognitive health?
- What disruptive innovation is emerging to deliver functional products to optimise infant health and development? Where are the opportunities in the probiotics space?
- What shift in attitude are we seeing from consumers in their perception of nutrition and health? How can manufacturers deliver products that satisfy consumer desire for healthy foods?
Thomas Hayes, Global Food Technology & Innovation Analyst, LUX RESEARCH, SINGAPORE
François Scheffler, Senior Vice President, Global Human Nutrition and Nutrition & Health Asia Pacific, BASF, GERMANY
Tunyawat Kasemsuwan, Director, Global Innovation Center, THAI UNION GROUP, THAILAND
Danny Yeung, CEO, PRENETICS, CHINA
Investor Insights: Mapping Future Food-Tech Opportunities in Asia
- Which areas of the food-tech landscape in Asia are most exciting to today’s most active VCs and strategic investors? What new investment models are emerging?
- What lessons can be learnt for Asia from food-tech investment internationally? What approach is need in Asia? What’s unique about the challenges and opportunities?
- What approaches have been successful in de-risking investments and scaling successfully? Where are the opportunities for partnerships to deliver the expertise and resources needed by food-tech entrepreneurs?
Michael Dean, Co-Founder, AGFUNDER, USA
Eugene Wong, Managing Director, SIRIUS VENTURES CAPITAL, SINGAPORE
Matthieu Vermersch, Founder & Partner, VISVIRES NEW PROTEIN CAPITAL, SINGAPORE
Christian Cadeo, Managing Partner – Singapore, BIG IDEA VENTURES, SINGAPORE
Manav Gupta, Founder & CEO, BRINC, HONG KONG
Deepak Shahdadpuri, Managing Director, DSG CONSUMER PRODUCTS, SINGAPORE