Friday November 22 Morning
Breakfast Briefing: Demystifying the Chinese Market
- Where are the hottest agri-food tech innovation and investment opportunities in China?
- How can Western high-tech start-ups build an edge for entering the Chinese market? What are best practices and some of the common challenges to be aware of?
- What are the appetites for Chinese food and ag companies to experiment with new technology and new business models?
- How does innovation emerging from China look to impact the agri-food system across Asia?
Matilda Ho, Founder & Managing Director, BITS X BITES, CHINA
Doug Cameron, Senior Managing Director, U.S.-CHINA GREEN FUND, CHINA
Robin Yao, Venture Partner, VISVIRES NEW PROTEIN & Former GM of Overseas Investment, NEW HOPE LIUHE, CHINA
Li Li, Investment Manager, BASF VENTURE CAPITAL, CHINA
Keynote Address: Creating a Vibrant Food Innovation Ecosystem in Singapore
Ted Tan, Deputy CEO, ENTERPRISE SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
Opening Plenary Discussion: Building Sustainable and Healthy Food Brands in a Changing Consumer Landscape in Asia
- With urbanisation and internet penetration rapidly rising in Asia, how we live, work and eat is drastically changing. How are digitisation and on-demand delivery disrupting Asia’s food landscape?
- How is the drive for convenience and prepared food changing how and what people consume? What new challenges and opportunities does this open up for food brands?
- What strategies are leading food brands developing to meet consumer demand for healthier foods with sustainable supply chains? What success stories have we seen of new, healthier brands entering the market in Asia?
- How are start-ups disrupting the space with new, innovative products and brands? What are the key challenges to scale?
Fazeela Rashid, Managing Director, Investments, TEMASEK, USA
Trina Liang-Lin, CEO, HALO HEALTH ASIA & Chair, WORLD FOOD FUTURE (WFF), SINGAPORE
Greg Steltenpohl, CEO, CALIFIA FARMS, USA
Ping Chew, Managing Director, Regional Head of Food & Agribusiness Research & Advisory, Asia, RABOBANK, SINGAPORE
Corporate Innovation: Creating a Culture Open to Entrepreneurial Thinking and Collaboration
- How are the leading food companies in Asia and start-ups working together to deliver new solutions to challenges in the food system, and unlock growth? What approaches have been successful in utilizing complementary strengths to drive innovation forward?
- How can innovation be integrated into the core business of CPGs in Asia?
- As the birthplace of many start-ups in Asia and the house of new research expertise, what value can academic institutions bring to the leading food companies in Asia? What new collaboration models are emerging?
Adam Lyle, Executive Chairman, PADANG & CO, SINGAPORE
Dirk Oyen, General Manager – Human Nutrition South East Asia, ADM, SINGAPORE
Sirichit Jiraruangkiat, AVP Group Innovation & Market Development, THAI WAH, THAILAND
Kerry Mok, Executive Vice President, Food Solutions, SATS, SINGAPORE
Glenn Caton, SVP Growth: Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL, SINGAPORE
Networking Break: Meet the Start-Ups
An opportunity to connect with Asia’s most exciting agri-food start-ups in the TechHub exhibition
Start-Up Technology Pitching Session
Four early-stage companies pitch their nutrition-focused solutions to our audience, each followed by a Q&A with our panel of Investor Sharks.
Florence Leong, Founder and Director, KOSMODEHEALTH, SINGAPORE
Chonchayong Sean Trairatkeyoon, Co-Founder & CEO, JUICEINNOV8, THAILAND
Mush’ab Nursantio, Founder & CEO, BITEBACK INSECT CO., INDONESIA
Jonathan Ng, CEO, SINFOOTECH, SINGAPORE
John Cheng, Managing Director, INNOVATE 360, SINGAPORE
Claire Pribula, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, THE YIELD LAB, SINGAPORE
Change by Preserving: Embracing Innovation, Consolidating Ferrero's Heritage and Values
Francesco Prinetti, Managing Director, FERRERO SINGAPORE INNOVATION CENTER, SINGAPORE
The Role of Partnership and Collaboration in Bringing New Sugar Reduction Solutions to Market
Datuk Hishammudin Hasan, Managing Director & CEO, CSR, MALAYSIA
Tackling the Diabetes Crisis through Sugar Replacement, Processing and Reduction Technologies
- With diabetes from increasingly high-sugar, carb-led diets spreading across Asia and sugar taxes emerging, what innovation is taking place to create better sugars, next-generation alternatives and new formulations? How is flavour innovation maintaining delicious taste?
- What approaches are successfully addressing the bulking challenge in sugar replacement? Where are the opportunities for fibre to add not only bulk but also functionality?
- How can we achieve scale and reduce costs of sugar alternatives? How can food brands drive innovation and adoption forwards, and where are the opportunities for partnerships?
Erich Sieber, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, PEAKBRIDGE, UAE
Harry Boot, President, Asia Pacific, TATE & LYLE, SINGAPORE
Forrest Evans, Regional Product Manager, Sweet Goods, Dairy and Beverages, APAC Flavours, GIVAUDAN, SINGAPORE
Ilan Samish, Founder & CEO, AMAI PROTEIN, ISRAEL
Sabeerali Kunnath-Naduthodi, Regional Technical Lead, Asia-Pacific, CARGILL, SINGAPORE
Audrey Liow, Retired Nestlé CEO, NESTLÉ INDOCHINA, and Board Director, HELICONIA CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, SINGAPORE
Networking Lunch Break
Friday November 22 Afternoon
Tackling the Plastic Packaging Challenge
Taking a thousand years to decompose, plastic packaging, while cheap and functional, is unsustainable for the future of our planet. With recycling rates low and usage high, plastic quantity is fast mounting up and polluting our seas, not only harming wildlife but also contaminating our food and water through microplastics.
To address the plastic packaging crisis, 250 leading global food companies have joined the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, pledging to ensure that 100% of plastic packaging can be easily and safely reused, recycled, or composted by 2025. Yet where are the solutions?
Two technology companies each present their disruptive alternatives to single-use plastic packaging.
David Christian, CEO & Co-Founder, EVOWARE, INDONESIA
Kimberly Bolton, CEO, CARAPAC, AUSTRALIA
Nutrition for Everyone: Targeting Malnutrition through Fortification
- To address widespread malnutrition-related issues like stunting across Asia, how do we increase the nutritional profile of staple foods, while keeping them affordable? What key challenges that need to be overcome in doing this? What new products are emerging?
- How is next-generation fortification improving micronutrient absorption? Where are the opportunities for gene editing to add nutrients? How can we overcome regulatory hurdles?
- Where are the partnership and investment opportunities to accelerate the development and commercialisation of new technologies and products to meet Asia’s base nutritional needs?
Regina Moench-Pfanner, Founder & CEO, IBN360, SINGAPORE
Ravi Menon, Indonesia Country Director, GAIN, INDONESIA
Anand Sundaresan, Regional Vice President, DSM HUMAN NUTRITION & HEALTH, ASIA PACIFIC, SINGAPORE
D’Anne Hayman, Vice President, Global Innovation and Nutrition, THE KELLOGG COMPANY, USA
Howarth Bouis, Founding Director, HARVESTPLUS & Institute Fellow, IFPRI, PHILIPPINES
Sofia Elizondo, Co-Founder and COO, BRIGHTSEED, USA
Food as Medicine: Delivering Functional Foods for Healthy Development and Senior Wellness
- How is growing understanding of the relationship between nutrition and health, and variations in the gut microbiota between individuals with age, opening new opportunities in Asia to promote health and wellness? How can this drive us away from the established pharmaceutical paradigm and move towards a preventative, holistic approach?
- How is ingredient innovation transforming senior wellness and cognitive health?
- What disruptive innovation is emerging to deliver functional products to optimise infant health and development? Where are the opportunities in the pre- and probiotics space?
Thomas Hayes, Global Food Technology & Innovation Analyst, LUX RESEARCH, SINGAPORE
François Scheffler, Senior Vice President, Global Human Nutrition and Nutrition & Health Asia Pacific, BASF, SINGAPORE
Tunyawat Kasemsuwan, Director, Global Innovation Center, THAI UNION GROUP, THAILAND
Danny Yeung, CEO, PRENETICS, CHINA
Charles Stacey, President & CEO, CERECIN, SINGAPORE
Investor Insights: Mapping Future Food-Tech Opportunities in Asia
- Which areas of the food-tech landscape in Asia are most exciting to today’s most active VCs and strategic investors? What new investment models are emerging?
- What lessons can be learnt for Asia from food-tech investment internationally? What approach is need in Asia? What’s unique about the challenges and opportunities?
- What approaches have been successful in de-risking investments and scaling successfully? Where are the opportunities for partnerships to deliver the expertise and resources needed by food-tech entrepreneurs?
Michael Dean, Co-Founder, AGFUNDER, USA
Eugene Wong, Managing Director, SIRIUS VENTURES CAPITAL, SINGAPORE
Gerard Chia, Partner, VISVIRES NEW PROTEIN, SINGAPORE
Christian Cadeo, Managing Partner – Singapore, BIG IDEA VENTURES, SINGAPORE
Manav Gupta, Founder & CEO, BRINC, HONG KONG
Deepak Shahdadpuri, Managing Director, DSG CONSUMER PARTNERS, SINGAPORE
Closing Remarks & End of Summit