Thursday November 21 Morning
Breakfast Briefing - Roundtables: Emerging Trends in the Aquaculture Industry for Southeast Asia
Join fellow aquaculture industry leaders, investors and entrepreneurs for insightful presentations and collaborative roundtable discussions addressing the latest challenges, trends and opportunities in Southeast Asia.
Georg Baunach, Managing Director & Co-Founder, HATCH, SINGAPORE
John Diener, Chief Operating Officer, AGRIPROTEIN, SINGAPORE – Advancing the Adoption of Next-Generation Aqua-Feed Ingredients
Liris Maduningtyas, CEO, JALA, INDONESIA – Driving Shrimp Industry Digitalisation through B2B and B2B2C Partnerships
Laurent Genet, Chief Strategy Officer, NUTRECO, THE NETHERLANDS – Building Sustainable Service-Based Revenue Models for Aqua Nutrition and Health
Benedict Standen, Product Manager, Aquaculture, BIOMIN, AUSTRIA – Identifying Growth Opportunities for Functional Feeds in Asia
Keynote Address: How can We Use Innovation and Catalyse Industry Transformation to Achieve Singapore’s Food Security Target of ‘30 by 30’?
Lim Kok Thai, CEO, SINGAPORE FOOD AGENCY, SINGAPORE
Keynote Address: How Can New Models for Collaboration Facilitate Technology Adoption and Support Greater Sustainability and Security in Farming and Food?
A. Shekhar, Executive Director and Group Chief Operating Officer, OLAM, SINGAPORE
The Rise of Urban Farming: Delivering Fresh, Nutritious, Resilient Foods to Urban Asian Consumers
- How is the indoor farming industry emerging in Asia? What key challenges do urban growers in Asia face, and what’s needed to overcome these? What’s next on the horizon?
- What innovative business models have shown success for scaling at steady pace and optimising growing methods and technologies?
- What value can urban-farmed produce offer retailers and food brands? Where are the opportunities for partnerships between growers and retailers or food brands, and what new models are arising? How will food distribution systems need to adapt to incorporate a new wave of local produce?
Kevin Murphy, Ex-CEO, DRISCOLL’S, USA
Ralph Graichen, Director, Food & Nutrition, A*STAR, SINGAPORE
Ankesh Shahra, Founder & Managing Director, AGRIMAX VENTURES, SINGAPORE
Kate Kida, Co-Director & Global Marketing Manager, GREENLAND, JAPAN
Sam Strang Steel, Associate Director of Fresh, REDMART, SINGAPORE
Marinus Luiten, Head of Business Development, PRIVA, NETHERLANDS
Networking Coffee Break
Plant Science, Lighting and Automation: Driving Efficiencies in Indoor Farming
- From plant science to lighting solutions and robotics, what technology innovation is emerging, both locally and internationally, to reduce resource use, increase yield, and optimize crop quality in indoor farming in Asia, to drive cost-viable systems?
- What business models are combining these technologies effectively? What role can AI, robotics, and control systems play in optimising conditions and reducing labour costs?
- How can we take these technologies from pilot to mainstream, and where are partnerships and investment needed to accelerate this process?
Eri Hayashi, International Relations and Consulting, JAPAN PLANT FACTORY ASSOCIATION, JAPAN
Jade Stinson, CTO, VINDARA, USA
JJ Price, International Business Development Manager, SPREAD, JAPAN
David Farquhar, CEO, INTELLIGENT GROWTH SOLUTIONS, UK
Yasuhiro Suzuki, General Manager, HELIOSPECTRA JAPAN, JAPAN
Steve Graves, Vice President Business Development, FLUENCE BY OSRAM, USA
Benjamin Swan, Co-Founder and CEO, SUSTENIR, SINGAPORE
From Seed to Store: Using AI to Optimise the Indoor Farms of the Future
Irving Fain, CEO & Founder, BOWERY FARMING, USA
From Sea to Land: Enabling Urban Aquaculture through Recirculating Aquaculture Systems
- What technology innovation is emerging in the Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) space to develop urban farms that offer healthier, cleaner, more sustainable, local seafood?
- What is the market landscape for RAS and what are the key challenges limiting the growth of this sector? What business models have been successful?
- What is needed to drive innovation and encourage investment to further build this newly emerging industry?
Yoav Dagan, Vice President & Co-Owner, AQUAMAOF, ISRAEL
Building a Sustainable Aquaculture Industry Through Alternative Protein Feed Innovation
- With reliance on wild fish stocks for aquaculture feed unsustainable, where are the opportunities for alternative protein fish feed to deliver a nutritious yet sustainable feed alternative? What innovative approaches are emerging for Asian aquaculture?
- What is needed to achieve cost comparativeness with conventional wild fish stock feed? Where are the opportunities for partnerships and investment to drive this forward?
- What feed innovation is occurring to address fish health by delivering increased nutrition and reduced mycotoxins, supporting healthier immune systems and reduced disease?
Carsten Krome, CEO & Co-Founder, HATCH, NORWAY
Rob Koremans, CEO, NUTRECO, NETHERLANDS
Adrian Ng, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, ADISSEO, SINGAPORE
Erwin Suwendi, Head of Nutrition and Feed Technology, Aquaculture Division, JAPFA, INDONESIA
John Diener, COO, AGRIPROTEIN, SINGAPORE
Clement Ray, Co-Founder & President, INNOVAFEED, FRANCE
Mind the Gap! - The Protein Gap, Where We are Now and What Needs to Happen Next
Why are new proteins so important? If we keep using traditional protein sources to feed our rapidly expanding global population, what would this look like – and what would the impact be? This presentation maps out the possible scenarios and shows why we need to invest in new sources of protein to prevent our hunger for more food causing unnecessary damage to our planet.
Alan Shaw, Co-Founder, President & CEO, CALYSTA, USA
Networking Lunch Break
Featuring urban-grown produce and alternative protein dishes.
Lunch Briefing: The Asia Food Challenge
Asia’s food and agriculture sector has an outsized need for innovation to produce enough food, to produce better quality food, and to produce food with a lower environmental impact. A joint report by PwC, Rabobank and Temasek highlights this sizeable investment opportunity and explores ways to unlock it.
Thursday November 21 Afternoon
Presentation: Feeding Ten Billion People in 2050 within the Limits of the Planet
Ian Roberts, CTO, BUHLER, SWITZERLAND
Catalysing the Cell-Based Protein Space: Developing Desirable Products for the Asian Consumer
- What innovation is emerging locally and internationally to deliver a cell-based product desirable to Asian consumers?What are the right products to bring to market? Could developing cell-based proteins as functional foods be an entry point to the market?
- How can we make cell-based products affordable? How are innovative approaches accelerating route to market and adoption, and what is required to radically reduce production costs?
- Where is investment and collaboration needed to drive the industry in Asia forwards? What are the predicted returns and timeline for these investments?
Elaine Siu, Managing Director – Asia Pacific, THE GOOD FOOD INSTITUTE, CHINA
Carrie Chan, CEO & Co-Founder, AVANT MEATS, HONG KONG
Ka Yi Ling, CTO & Co-Founder, SHIOK MEATS, SINGAPORE
Didier Toubia, CEO & Co-Founder, ALEPH FARMS, ISRAEL
Eric Schulze, VP of Product & Regulation, MEMPHIS MEATS, USA
Yuki Hanyu, CEO, INTEGRICULTURE, JAPAN
Start-Up Technology Pitching Session
Four early-stage companies pitch their protein-focused solutions to our audience, each followed by a Q&A with our panel of Investor Sharks.
Liris Maduningtyas, CEO, JALA, INDONESIA
Lim Jin Yin, Co-Founder and COO, PHUTURE FOODS, MALAYSIA
Blair Crichton, Co-Founder, KARANA, SINGAPORE
Nam Dang, Co-Founder and Operation Director, CRICKET ONE, VIETNAM
Investor Shark Panel:
Mike Zimmerman, Partner, MAIN SEQUENCE VENTURES, AUSTRALIA
Dan Phillips, Managing Director, CULTIVIAN SANDBOX VENTURES, USA
Networking Break: Meet the Start-Ups
An opportunity to connect with Asia’s most exciting agri-food start-ups in the TechHub exhibition
Keynote Address: Driving New Frontiers of Protein Consumption in Asia
Nick Halla, SVP International, IMPOSSIBLE FOODS, USA
Delivering Delicious, Nutritious Plant-Based Protein Products to the Asian Market
- Moving beyond burgers, how are companies adapting products to satisfy Asian consumer tastes? What exciting new products are coming beyond meat replacements?
- How can we take plant-based foods to the next level by improving their taste, nutritional profile and functionality? How can we design crops specifically for plant protein ingredients?
- How do supply chains need to adapt to meet demand for plant-based ingredients in Asia, and where are the partnership and investment opportunities to accelerate new ingredient adoption? How can we ensure sustainability?
Rob Hulme, Co-Founder & Head of Asia, BEANSTALK AGTECH, SINGAPORE
David Yeung, Founder & CEO, GREEN MONDAY, HONG KONG
Xun Wang, President and CEO, TRITON ALGAE INNOVATIONS, USA
Jeff Rosichan, Director, Crops of the Future Collaborative, FOUNDATION FOR FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, USA
Gurpreet Singh Voltra, Head of Business Development, WILMAR INTERNATIONAL, SINGAPORE
Building Singapore as a Global Agri-Food Innovation Hub
- How has the innovation ecosystem in Singapore developed over the last 2-3 years? What exciting initiatives have emerged, and what is required to foster this ecosystem and drive it forward? What is the role of the government in driving innovation? What’s on the horizon?
- What new insights and approaches are emerging in academia and research, and where are the opportunities for partnerships to bring these to the industry?
- How can accelerators and incubators support the growing regional start-up scene? Where are the opportunities for collaboration and complementary approaches?
John Geddie, Deputy Bureau Chief, REUTERS, SINGAPORE
Lee Eng Keat, Executive Director, Agrifood, SINGAPORE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT BOARD, SINGAPORE
Atsushi Taira, Managing Director, MISTLETOE, SINGAPORE
Grahame Dixie, Executive Director, GROW ASIA, SINGAPORE
Yeoh Keat Chuan, Managing Director, Enterprise Development Group, TEMASEK, SINGAPORE
Nitza Kardish, CEO, TRENDLINES AGRIFOOD & VICE CHAIR TRENDLINES AGRIFOOD INNOVATION CENTRE, ISRAEL
End of Day Networking Drinks
The Economic Development Board and Enterprise Singapore are hosting a special networking event from 6-8pm to connect retailers and distributors with producers of plant-based protein products and urban-grown leafy greens.
During the evening, you will have the opportunity to meet and network with a wide range of plant-based protein producers and urban farmers, visit their booths and sample products, whilst catching up with colleagues and fellow delegates over a glass of wine.