Dilhan Pillay Sandrasegara, Chief Executive, TEMASEK INTERNATIONAL, SINGAPORE
Wednesday November 20 Morning
Dr Koh Poh Koon, SENIOR MINISTER OF STATE FOR TRADE AND INDUSTRY, SINGAPORE
- Where are the greatest opportunities for technology to create a paradigm shift in Asia’s agri-food chain towards increased yield, sustainability, accessibility and nutritional value of food? What are the key barriers to technology adoption, and what approaches are needed?
- What exciting new initiatives have emerged in the agri-food innovation landscape in Asia? What is required to foster and drive this growing ecosystem?
- What partnerships and investment are needed to adapt international innovation to Asia and scale successfully? How can international and local players collaborate, and where are the opportunities for leapfrogging?
Nadir Godrej, Chairman, GODREJ AGROVET, INDIA
Yu Xiang (Leo) Liu, President, Asia-Pacific, ADM, CHINA
Martin Lemoine, Agribusiness Investment Unit Head, ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK, PHILIPPINES
- What are the latest innovations in remote sensing, IoT, and AI, and how can these be utilised for a more predictive, informed and precise approach to agriculture in Asia? What challenges need to be overcome to deliver maximum success?
- As major technology players such as Alibaba, Tencent, Microsoft and Google enter the agriculture space, how are they changing the paradigms of what can be achieved?
- How can existing technology platforms be adapted to Asian agriculture? How can partnerships and investment accelerate this process?
Steven Tompkins, Director of Sector Development – Agriculture, INMARSAT, UK
Justin Gong, Co-Founder & VP, XAG, CHINA
- How can we create a digital platform that delivers value to farmers in Asia? From advice on inputs, to pricing updates and direct connections to buyers – what is useful to today’s farmers, and how can this be delivered in an affordable, accessible way?
- What is the role of telecoms companies in increasing farmer connectivity?
- How can we connect smallholders to finance? What new financing models are emerging to overcome the key barriers faced by smallholders? Where are the fintech opportunities?
Mark Kahn, Founding Partner, OMNIVORE, INDIA
Purvi Mehta, Deputy Director & Head of Asia for Agriculture, BILL & MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION, KENYA
Tobias Menne, Head, Global Digital Farming Unit, BASF, GERMANY
Suresh Sundararajan, President & Group Head – Strategic Investments & Corporate Functions, OLAM INTERNATIONAL, SINGAPORE
Thadoe Hein, CEO, AWBA, MYANMAR
Amol Deshpande, CEO & Co-Founder, FARMERS’ BUSINESS NETWORK, USA
Wednesday November 20 Afternoon
- How do we breed crops to increase yield, build resistance to pests and disease, improve nutritional content, and increase adaptability to mechanisation? What unique approaches are required in Southeast Asia?
- How can we work with smallholders to increase the adoption of new varieties of seeds and more effective, more sustainable crop protection productions? What business models best enable technology adoption?
- How is the regulatory space for gene-edited and GMO crops emerging in Asia? Where are the opportunities?
Howard-Yana Shapiro, Chief Agricultural Officer, MARS, USA
Xun Xu, EVP, BEIJING GENOMICS INSTITUTE, CHINA
Jacqueline Hughes, Deputy DG for Research, INTERNATIONAL RICE RESEARCH INSTITUTE (IRRI), PHILIPPINES
Louisa Burwood Taylor, Head of Media & Research, AGFUNDER, USA
Paul Teng, Senior Fellow, SOUTH EAST ASIA REGIONAL CENTER FOR GRADUATE STUDY AND RESEARCH IN AGRICULTURE, SINGAPORE
Wilfred Feng, Senior Counsel, Food, Drug, Agricultural & Environment Law, DENTONS SHANGHAI, CHINA
Four early-stage companies pitch their agtech solutions to our audience, each followed by a Q&A with our panel of Investor Sharks.
Ruel Amparo, CEO & Founder, CROPITAL, PHILIPPINES
Shashank Kumar, CEO & Co-Founder, DEHAAT, INDIA
Hujjat Nadarajah, CEO, TUN YAT, MYANMAR
Investor Shark Panel:
Isabelle Decitre, Co-Founder & CEO, ID CAPITAL, SINGAPORE
An opportunity to connect with Asia’s most exciting agri-food start-ups in the TechHub exhibition.
Professor Chua Nam-Hai, Chief Scientific Advisor, WILMAR, Deputy Chairman, TEMASEK LIFE SCIENCES LABORATORY, and Distinguished Visiting Professor, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- What are the key pain points in Asia’s food safety system and how can technology address these? How is innovation fairing at scale and what challenges need to be overcome?
- What innovation is emerging to facilitate the efficient detection of contaminants and residue pesticide levels, to reduce food safety breaches and recalls?
- Can we ever ensure a fully traceable, transparent, connected system, with end-to-end linkage? What incentives and models are facilitating participation? What are the opportunities for collaboration to ensure a cohesive, harmonized approach?
Nick Rosa, Managing Director, CONTINENTAL GRAIN COMPANY ASIA, CHINA
- Which areas of agtech are today’s most active VC and strategic investors excited about for Southeast Asia, China and India? Which have the biggest potential for growth and widespread transformation?
- What developments have we seen in the Asian agtech investment space in the last year? What are leading investors’ predictions for the next 2-3 years?
- What are the challenges of translating solutions across and to Asia, and how can investors work with start-ups to successfully adapt their ideas and models to local needs?
Richard Skinner, Head of Deals Strategy & Operations Asia-Pacific, PWC, SINGAPORE
David Gowdey, Managing Partner, JUNGLE VENTURES, SINGAPORE
Ritu Verma, Co-Founder, ANKUR CAPITAL, INDIA
Alex Zhang, Managing Partner, HOSEN CAPITAL, CHINA
Kiersten Stead, Managing Partner, DCVC, USA
After a busy first day of the summit, relax and reconnect with industry colleagues and new faces over evening networking drinks.